Primary responsibility for all aspects of grant and scholarship payment cycle. Work closely with Finance Manager and Controller to complete monthly accruals and adjusting journal entries, and analysis and reconciliation of grants payable, grant expense, cash basis payments and contingent liabilities as reported in the financial statements, annual budget and forecasts, and 990PF return.
- Manage the grant and higher education scholarship payment cycle. Work collaboratively with the Finance Manager, Program Manager – Scholarship Operations, and Scholarship Administration Associates. Specific duties include:
- Review vouchers for accuracy and compliance with policies and guidelines, audit proposed payment amounts and verify supporting documentation. Resolve errors with Grants Administration department.
- Import payable information being exported from the scholarship and grants management software to the accounting software (Great Plains Dynamics – GPD).
- Review and ensure the GPD financial database data is accurate, issue checks, initiate ACH payments and foreign currency wire transfers, and reconcile payments with management reports.
- Download financial payment data for import into the scholarship and grant management software.
- Verify grantee charitable status to ensure that payments to grantees are eligible to count towards the Foundation’s payout.
- Responsible for financial aspects of the Foundation’s forgivable loan program. Duties include coordinating payments, reviewing outstanding loans for forecasting purposes and verifying interest rates. Ensure accuracy of data in scholarship and accounting databases and that appropriate documentation is maintained regarding the program.
- Assist in preparation of accurate and complete monthly accruals for all scholarship and grant programs. Ensure that grants payable, grant expense (accrual basis), and grant payments (cash basis) are accurate and accounts are reconciled on a monthly basis, including reconciliations between various databases (GIFTS, CAP/SmartSimple and Great Plains). Responsible for proper accounting of Scholars that are not active or receiving scholarship funds, such as deferred, fully funded, or removed Scholars. Work closely with Program staff to resolve discrepancies in Scholar status and award amounts in a timely manner.
- Develop and issue monthly reconciliations and journal entries for rescissions, foreign currency gains/losses, and other accounts as assigned.
- Provide analysis and reporting of scholarships and grants for financial statement reporting, annual audit, annual budget and forecasts, and 990PF preparation.
- Assist in the identification of grantee audits. Coordinate with selected grantees regarding audit details and logistics. Perform and report on audit grantees in a timely manner.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum five years of diverse financial accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred
- Must possess an understanding of databases and be capable of using Microsoft Excel at an advanced level
- Experience with Great Plains Dynamics accounting system and scholarship administration is a plus
- Must be a flexible team player, be detail oriented and possess excellent organizational and analytical skills necessary to maintain accurate and timely reporting in an evolving, dynamic environment
- Must have the ability to work independently, exercise discretion required to perform duties and effectively communicate financial information
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter through the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Career Center. E-Verify employer. No phone calls please.