Celebrate National Scholarship Month this November
In November, the Cooke Foundation participates in NSPA’s National Scholarship Month campaign with other institutions, faculty, and students who believe in the fundamental role scholarships play in providing access and equity in higher education. Billions of dollars worth of unclaimed funding from the U.S. Department of Education, universities, and private scholarship and fellowship providers goes unclaimed annually – don’t let yourself or your loved ones miss out on scholarship opportunities to help pay for college when so many great opportunities are out there.
Here are just a few to start with:
- The Victims of Pan Am Flight 103 Legacy Award: Established to remember the 270 lives lost in the 1988 bombing, this $5,000 award is available for students pursuing advanced degrees in terrorism prevention and national security. Deadline is February 21, 2022.
- Ron Brown Scholars Program: This national scholarship for low-income African Americans is worth $40,000 and offers robust college support programming. Deadline is January 9, 2022.
- AAUW Selected Professions Fellowship: A $20,000 scholarship available for women pursuing degrees in fields where women are underrepresented (e.g. engineering, architecture). AAUW also offers fellowships specifically to women of color for M.B.A., law, and doctoral programs. Deadline is December 1, 2022.
- Niche No-Essay Scholarship: All high school and college students, including students looking into going to graduate school next year, are eligible to apply for Niche’s $50,000 scholarship. One student will be selected to receive the award via random drawing. No essay required, just create a Niche profile and be automatically entered in the drawing – you might as well try your luck! Plus, Niche will recommend other scholarship opportunities you may be interested in after you create your profile. Deadline is December 14, 2022.
- Rise: This non-traditional but exciting scholarship program is available for 15 – 17-year-olds interested in giving back to their communities and offers benefits beyond scholarship funding. Applicants can even submit a video application instead of a written one. Deadline is January 23, 2023.
- The Tillman Scholars Program: Military service members, veterans, and spouses pursuing a full-time bachelor’s, master’s, or professional degree at a US-based accredited institution are eligible for this tuition assistance scholarship. Deadline is February 28, 2023.
- “Be Bold” No-Essay Scholarship: The student who creates the boldest profile will be awarded $25,000 – a huge increase, as this scholarship opportunity used to be worth $10,000. Deadline is November 30, 2022.
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships: Micro-scholarships awarded monthly to students who complete actions like applying for the FAFSA and strengthening their college lists. A few students will even be randomly selected to win $40,000 scholarships. Deadline is ongoing.
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship: A highly selective scholarship for the nation’s top community college students seeking to complete their bachelor’s degrees at four-year colleges or universities. Deadline is January 12, 2022.
There are lots of other scholarship opportunities out there – many have no GPA requirements, do not ask for essay submissions, and take less than five minutes to apply for. Click on this free tool sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor for even more scholarship opportunities. Happy National Scholarship Month!