Determining the Right College Fit: Ten Questions to Ask Yourself
Choosing the right college for you is a big deal – it’s not just about the name or the reputation of the school, it’s about finding a place where you’ll thrive and grow. With so many options out there, how do you find the perfect fit? Here are ten questions you can ask yourself to help guide your search.
- How far from home do you want to be? A short drive or a plane journey away? Keep in mind the cost of traveling home during breaks.
- Do you prefer a tight-knit community with lots of familiar faces, or do you thrive in a bigger environment with some anonymity?
- Do you see yourself being comfortable in larger lectures or do you prefer smaller, discussion-based classes?
- Does the idea of a bustling city campus excite or overwhelm you? How about a more serene, rural setting?
- What are the top three academic areas of study you want to seek out in college? Which majors or minors interest you the most?
- What extracurricular activities are a must-have for your ideal college experience?
- What additional experiences or features matter to you? For example, are you looking for a college that offers a writing center, math support, honors program, study abroad opportunities, or access to a particular affinity group?
- What kind of people do you enjoy being around? Artsy, sporty, socially active, academically driven?
- What aspects of high school have you enjoyed the most? Consider size, extracurricular activities, and teacher relationships.
- What aspects of high school have you liked the least? Are there certain factors you would want to avoid in a college or university?