JKCF in the News: Getting Smart
The most exciting element of SXSWedu is the chance to meet, learn, and collaborate with other educators, EdLeaders and edupreneurs. Here’s 70 impact players, conversation leaders, and solution builders — the difference makers we met in Austin.
- Amy Vreeland, TrueSchools, is helping educators create next-gen learning environments.
- Mark Limburg, Panther Learning, is promoting better peer reviews of essays with Peerspective.
- Doug Stein (@douglas_stein), Metacog, is leading the learning events analytics platform that’s providing insights into learner behavior.
- Andrew Cohen (@acohenNY), CEO, leads Brainscape, the web and mobile study platform that supports learners, learn faster.
- Victor Karkar (@victorkarkar), CEO, Scrible, is working to transform how we read, research and share the web information.
- Bruce Umpstead (@umpstead), former Michigan Virtual lead, is now the biz dev lead for Double Line Partners, an Austin data shop based on the Ed-Fi solution.
- Marina Walne, EduStart, is working on affordable schools in a kit (e.g., see feature on Bridge International).
- Moss Pike (@mosspike), Latin Teacher at Harvard-Westlake School, contributing author of Elevate and Empower.
- Eric Nentrup (@ericnentrup), co-led Lost In Translation on Monday that addressed the language and culture divide in ed roles and how to close them.
- Michael Kleba @mikekleba, Brooklyn-based educator co-led Lost In Translation with Eric. Founder of Teachernomics.
- Rachel Parker, American YouthWorks (@AmerYouthWorks) english teacher using storytelling to teach low-income students in Austin.
- Andrea Keller (@akbusybee), a Texan Instructional Tech Specialist from Irvin IS, NSBA 20 to Watch, and past 2011-2012 TCEA Teacher of the Year.
- Annie Bush (@Annie_M_Bush), Untitled Films – Co-Producer, led Mobile Video Storytelling Lab alongside storytellers from CreatorUp! Executive Director of queer multi-arts fest & conf. @OUTsiderFest.
- Sara Akhteh, Co-Founder of CreatorUp! (@creatorup) USC Film School alum, led the Mobile Video Storytelling Lab.
- LightSail CAO Jessica Reid Sliwerski debated the ever contentious John Katzman about data use. She was cheered on by CEO Gideon Stein and the rest of us that want to see portable student data
- Lindsey Own, Seattle-based 7th grade bio teacher at The Evergreen School who spoke about leadership and innovation.
- Michael Tringe, Co-Founder of CreatorUp! Facilitated the Mobile Video Storytelling Lab at the Alamo Drafthouse Theatre.
On A Mission
SXSWedu is a great place to visit with non-profit leaders.
- Karen Cator (@kcator) , Digital Promise, spoke on the role of micro-credentialing in teacher prep and learning support systems.
- Chris Jackson (@cjacksonj13) led the CWRA for the CAE and is now Chief Communications Officer with Big Picture Learning joining Andrew Frishman (@AndrewFrishman), Director of Program Development.
- Christina Jean (@ChristinaJeanMc), blended learning specialist for the Colorado Department of Education.
SXSWedu is also a great place to find impact players–the folks working at scale.
- David Levin, 11 months into leading the shift from print to digital as CEO & President of McGraw-Hill Education (@MHEducation). Peter Cowen leads K-20 work and discussed how Baltimore County had incorporated Engrade into BCPS One.
- Trisha McDonell, LEGO Education (@LEGO_Education), leading the effort in hands on instruction with language arts.
- Ki Karou, MIND Research (@MIND_Research), shared how printed manipulatives support personalized learning environments.
- Alvin Crawford, CEO Knowledge Delivery Systems (@KDSI), discussed using iNACOL #BlendedLearning standards in PD.
- Brainy Bror Saxberg is CAO for Kaplan and was joined by Maia Sharpley, VP Strategy & Innovation.
- Jason Lange, Bloomboard, wants every educator to have a personal development plan.
- Mick Hewitt, Chief Product Officer, MasteryConnect (@MasteryConnect), is helping teachers collaborate around assessments.
- Jaime Casap (@jcasap) is an evangelist for higher expectations for low-income students (and for Google).
- Chip Slaven, advocates for students to graduate from high school and do so with the skills to be successful in life with the Alliance for Excellent Education (@All4Ed).
- Erin Mote and Eric Tucker, Brooklyn Lab School (BklynLabSchool) are embracing joy and rigor in their planned NGLC winning 6-12 school model.
- Kara Chesal (@KCintheNYC) leads short cycle trials work for the NYC DOE.
- Harold Levy (@HOLevy), Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, is a leading an updated and more aggressive agenda to boost college completion among talented low-income students.
- Rob Hutter and Michael Staton (@mpstaton), Learn Capital, gave a great talk on the future of HigherEd.
- Godmother of blended learning, Gisele Huff, Hume Foundation.
- Mike Berlin (@jaghetermike), is building the bridge between the best EdTech startups and best learning institutions in the U.S with Macmillan New Ventures.
- Matt Greenfield (@mattgreenfield), is the thought leader behind ReThink Education and co-author of Boosting Impact.
And The Headhunters
- Ralph Protsik, BSG Team Ventures, the Godfather of edu headhunters.