November is National Scholarship Month
In November, the Cooke Foundation participates in NSPA’s National Scholarship Month campaign with other institutions, faculty, and students who believe in the fundamental role scholarships play in providing access and equity in higher education. In the last decade, the number of scholarships awarded have grown by almost 50%, yet billions of unclaimed funding from the U.S. Department of Education, universities, and private scholarship and fellowship providers goes unclaimed annually.
Scholarship Providers can participate in the National Scholarship Month challenge by encouraging your students to apply for at least 10 scholarship and fellowship opportunities this November. Here are a few (some are more niche than others!) to start with:
- The Alfa Fellowship Program: A distinguished opportunity for Americans, Germans, and Britons to gain high level professional development, language training, and work placement in Russia. Deadline is December 1, 2020.
- The Victims of Pan Am Flight 103 Legacy Award: Established to remember the 270 lives lost in the 1988 bombing, this award is available for students pursuing advanced degrees in terrorism prevention and national security. Deadline is February 21, 2021.
- AAUW Selected Professions Fellowship: Available for women pursuing degrees in fields where women are underrepresented (e.g. engineering, architecture). Deadline is December 1, 2020.
- Gypsy Lore Society Young Scholars’ Prize: A $500 cash award for the best unpublished paper on the topic of Gypsy and Traveler Studies. Deadline is November 30, 2020.
- Go There Greener: Upload a photo of yourself traveling greener for the chance to win a $1,500 scholarship. Deadline is November 30, 2020.
- “Be Bold” No-Essay Scholarship: The student who creates the boldest profile will be awarded $10,000. Deadline is November 30, 2020.
- Dorm Survey Scholarship: Take a 5-minute survey about your college dormitory and be entered to win a $1,000 scholarship. Deadline is December 30, 2020.
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships: Microscholarships awarded monthly to students who complete actions like applying for the FAFSA and strengthening their college lists. Deadline is ongoing.
- Adelman Travel Scholarship: Write an essay on a transformative travel experience to compete for a $500 award. Deadline is November 30.
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship: A highly selective scholarship for the nation’s top community college students seeking to complete their bachelor’s degrees at four-year colleges or universities. Deadline is January 6, 2020.
These scholarships are just a drop in the bucket of opportunities. Students – find more by meeting with your school counselor or adviser, or by clicking on this free tool sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor. Happy National Scholarship Month!